Monday, 25 June 2007

Does That Make Sense?

Lyrics are central to hip hop music (are you reading this D4L?), and is, in my opinion, slightly more important than the beats. I mean I can listen to some Saul Williams, but put on some Ying Yang Twins, and I'ma get the hell outta there. I know that both of the artists I've mentioned are from the south (pure coincidence) but MC's from all over have been making mistakes in their lyrics.

Here's a nice little list I found in Ego Trip's Book Of Rap Lists (cop it over at Amazon, you can't download books, homie). It just shows that everybody makes mistakes. Be prepared to ridicule your favourite artist...
1. 'Bad To The Bone' - Kool G Rap & DJ Polo
Blinded by the colour green, a pimped-out G Rap kicked this ethnically confused lyric: "Sleeping in sheets that's made of satin with one of my money-makin' honeys/ She's mixed, Spanish and Latin." Hmmm...a good combination.
2. 'Blackman In Effect' - Boogie Down Productions
The Teacher sets off his fourth LP with the 18-wheeler-D.W.I.-grammatical pile-up, "Wake up! Take the pillow from your head and put a book in it!" See how he sounds? A little unrational...oops!
3. 'Full Cooperation' - Def Squad
All brothas do look alike. So when Keith Murray warned, "I'm gonna get you sucker like Damon Wayans", we know he really meant D's older sibling, fallen late-night chat host, Keenan Ivory. Or was it Shawn, Marlon or Tito? Who cares.
4. 'Funky For You' - Nice & Smooth
The honour for the most infamous rap faux pas of all time goes to Boogie Down revisionist jazz historian Greg Nice for his opening line - "Ay yo, Dizzy Gillespie plays the sax" - on Nice & Smooth's party starter. Although the late, great trumpet playing bebop pioneer John Birks Gillespie (a.k.a. "Da Original Mr. Cheeks") was, in fact, capable of playing the saxophone in his spare time, Greg didn't find out until later when he was twisting L's with New Kids On The Block.
5. 'Just Rhymin' With Biz' - Big Daddy Kane featuring Biz Markie
If Biz "watched Star Wars just to see Yoda," he must have sat in the theatre for three years. It wasn't until the film's sequel, The Empire Strikes Back, that the old sage alien fuck, Yoda, finally made his celluloid debut. Peace, Frank Oz.
6. King Of Rock' - Run-D.M.C.
The Kings from Queens may have bridged rap and rock, but they unintentionally bought a morbid angle to pop music mathematics when they rhymed, "There's three of us, but we're not the Beatles", in 1985 - a little more than four years after John Lennon's death. Later, Run confessed that he believed the Fab Four were a trio all along.
7. 'Knick Knack Patty Wack' - EMPD featuring K-Solo
Central Islip, Long Island spelling bee champ, K-Solo, stumbled in his first opportunity to shine on the mic by bungling the line, "F-L-Y like a B-R-I-D in the S-K-Y." But he's still B-A-D in our book - the one in your H-A-N-D-S.
That's all for now folks, I'll try and conclude this post later on in the week. Now on to today's album post...
Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night
I think there are still scientists in Cambridge & Harvard trying to figure what the hell Geechi Suede and Sonny Cheeba were saying in this album. I'm sure there's a vault with a fuckload of cash waiting for anyone to solve this album. This is the one time where I'll compromise the lyrics, and can listen to an album not knowing what the hell is being said.
'Uptown Saturday Night' was released in 1997, and hit a high of #5 on on the R&B/Hip Hop charts. The lead single, 'Luchini AKA This Is It', was memorable for the horns used in the beat, courtesy of Ski. He was the man behind the music for Jay-Z's 'Reasonable Doubt', and it's said that Jay actually wanted the 'Luchini' beat for his own album.
Throughout the album, you get a feeling that Geechi and Sonny are the kind of guys that would finish each other's sentences. Their voices are easily distinguishable, but also perfectly matched. My favourite track on the album is not 'Luchini' or 'Coolie High', but rather 'Sparkle'. An ode to drinking, the light piano in the background kills this track. The duo's flow is at their best, and I defy you not to have the hook stuck in your head after a couple of listens.
With appearances made by Trugoy of De La Soul and Butterfly of Digable Planets, this album sounds like it was made in 1970, let alone the late '90's. Which leaves me to ask one question. Why don't they make beats like this anymore?

6 comments:

travis said...

Awesome write up, I had to chuckle about some of those. I've done the RUN DMC lyric a million but never caught it myself.

I still remember people having a field day giving Greg Nice crap about that lyric

sk93 said...

"But 50 you gon' get shot again, by the M-U-R-E-D-R Inc."

Ja

Swiftus said...

Haha, yeah forgot about that one, spelling mistakes are just unforgivable

sk93 said...

Especially when it's your own label...

SniperInTheMist said...

i have to say, sparkle is my fave Camp-Lo track too. 'Got the bubbly, flowing through me'. As you say, just the laid back piano at the start sets the tone for the whole thing.

Anonymous said...

Howdy all, dandy site I find It absolutely useful & its helped me so much
I hope to give something back & assist others like this site has helped me

_________________
[url=http://iphoneusers.com]unlock iphone 4.2.1[/url]